Carefully curated list of awesome creative coding resources primarily for beginners/intermediates.
Creative coding is a different discipline than programming systems. The goal is to create something expressive instead of something functional. Interaction design, information visualization and generative art are all different types of creative coding – which has become a household term describing artworks articulated as code.
Please read the contribution guidelines before contributing.
⭐ Don’t know where to start? Check out Matt DesLauriers Creative Coding course on Frontend Masters.
- Generative Art: A Practical Guide - Practical guide using Processing.
- Generative Design - Visualize, Program, and Create with Processing.
- The Nature of Code - Simulating natural systems with Processing.
- Programming Design Systems - Practical introduction to the new foundations of graphic design.
- Learning Modern 3D Graphics Programming - Series of tutorials on using OpenGL to do graphical rendering.
- Programming Interactivity - Designer’s Guide to Processing, Arduino, and openFrameworks.
- openFrameworks Essentials - openFrameworks beginner Guide for programmer, visual artist, or designer.
- Mastering openFrameworks: Creative Coding Demystified - Advanced in depth guide to openFrameworks.
- Algorithms for Visual Design Using the Processing Language - Experiment with design problems to create 3D animations, GUIs, and more.
- Ray Tracing in One Weekend - Mini book about Ray Tracing.
- Processing 2: Creative Programming Cookbook - Guides you to explore the Processing environment using practical and useful recipes.
- Data-driven Graphic Design - Creative Coding for Visual Communication.
- Real-Time Rendering - Learn how to use modern techniques to generate synthetic three-dimensional images in a fraction of a second.
- Graphics Shaders: Theory and Practice - Introduction to shader programming in general, but focusing on the GLSL shading language.
- Anton’s OpenGL 4 Tutorials - Practical guide to starting 3d programming with OpenGL.
- Math for Programmers - Book teaches you to solve mathematical problems in code.
- Create 3D Graphics in JS Using WebGL - Get started creating content with WebGL without any frameworks.
- Learn HTML5 Graphics and Animation - Introduction to the canvas 2D drawing API.
- Interactive 3D Graphics - Udacity course that teach you the principles of 3D computer graphics.
- Interactive Computer Graphics - Computer graphics course from Coursera.
- Kadenze Creative Coding - Selection of Kadenze courses covering p5.js, TensorFlow, Max/Jitter, and ChucK.
- Think. Create. Code - EDX course to learn programming with ProcessingJS.
- Creative Programming for Digital Media & Mobile Apps - Coursera course on creative coding with processing.
- Imaginary Institute - Learn how to create gorgeous interactive graphics.
- Future Learn: Creative Coding - Use computer programming as a creative discipline to generate sounds, images, animations and more.
- Advanced JS: Natural Simulations - Combine JS, ProcessingJS, and mathematical concepts to simulate nature in your programs
- Interactive Data Visualization with Processing - Learn how to read, map, and illustrate data with Processing.
- Programming Data Visualizations: A Coding Toolkit for Processing - Join information designer Nicholas Felton in the world of Processing.
- Introduction to Data Visualization - Join Nicholas Felton for a smart, comprehensive, and inspiring intro to data visualization.
- Programming Graphics I, 2, 3 - Learn generative art and Processing with art with Joshua Davis.
- Creative Coding with Canvas & WebGL - Workshop by Matt DesLauriers. that teaches you about generative art, interactive animations, 3D graphics, and shaders.
Frameworks • Libraries • Ecosystems
- Processing [Cross-platform] - Computer programming language and IDE for visual arts.
- Cinder [Cross-platform] - Open source library for professional-quality creative coding in C++.
- openFrameworks [Cross-platform] - Open source C++ toolkit for creative coding.
- C4 [iOS] - Open-source creative coding framework for iOS.
- Unity [Mac, Win] - Game engine, but useful for creative coding and installations.
- PlayCanvas [Cross-platform] - Open source, realtime collaborative WebGL engine.
- hg_sdf [Cross-platform] - GLSL library for building signed distance functions.
- HYPE [Cross-platform] - HYPE_processing, is a collection of classes that performs heavy lifting tasks while using a minimal amount of code writing.
[Cross-platform] - Open-source creative coding framework for the Rust language
[Cross-platform] - Open source collection of computational design tools for the Clojure and ClojureScript languages
- PixelKit [iOS, Mac] - Open source, live graphics, Swift framework, powered by Metal.
- OPENRNDR [Cross-platform] - Open source library for creative coding written in Kotlin.
- Phaser [Cross-platform] - HTML5 framework for building games, uses both a Canvas and WebGL renderer.
Visual Programming Languages
- vvvv [Win] - Hybrid visual/textual live-programming environment for easy prototyping and development.
- NodeBox [Mac, Win] - Cross-platform, node-based GUI for efficient data visualizations and generative design.
- TouchDesigner [Mac, Win] - Visual development platform to create realtime projects.
- Quartz Composer [Mac] - Development tool for processing and rendering graphical data.
- Vuo [Mac] - Live interactive-media programming environment.
- Max [Mac, Win] - Visual programming language for media.
- Pure Data [Cross-platform] - Open source visual programming language for multimedia.
- i-score [Cross-platform] - Interactive sequencer to control creative coding libraries and toolkits.
- tooll [Win] - Open source tool for creating interactive 3d content and animations.
- XOD [Cross-platform] - Open source visual programming language and environment for microcontroller-based projects.
- Isadora [Cross-platform] - Scene based media control software with integrated projection mapper.
- cables [Cross-platform/Web] - Your model kit for creating beautiful interactive content. Currently in private beta, invites can be requested.
- Notch Builder [Win] - Node-based authoring tool with a strong focus on real-time graphics. Currently in beta.
- Synopsis - A suite of open source software for computational cinematography.
Sound Programming Languages
- SuperCollider [Multi-platform] - Platform for audio synthesis and algorithmic composition.
- ChucK - Strongly-timed, concurrent, and on-the-fly music programming language.
- TidalCycles - Domain specific language for live coding of pattern.
- Sonic Pi - The live coding music synth for everyone.
- Csound - A sound and music computing system.
- Orca - Live coding environment to quickly create procedural sequencers.
Web Programming • Libraries
- regl - Functional WebGL.
- Stackgl - Open software ecosystem for WebGL, built on top of browserify and npm.
- Paper.js - The swiss army knife of vector graphics scripting.
- Pixi.js - HTML 5 2D rendering engine that uses webGL with canvas fallback.
- Maker.js - Parametric line drawing for SVG, CNC & laser cutters.
- Two.js - Two-dimensional drawing api geared towards modern web browsers.
- ClayGL - WebGL graphic library for building scalable Web3D applications.
- lightgl.js - A lightweight WebGL library.
- picogl.js - A minimal WebGL 2 rendering library.
- Alfrid - A WebGL tool set.
- twigl - A Tiny WebGL helper Library.
- luma.gl - WebGL2 Components for Data Visualization.
- css-doodle - A web component for drawing patterns with CSS.
Projection Mapping • VJing
- MadMapper [Mac] - Video mapping projections and Light mapping.
- VDMX [Mac] - Realtime multimedia performance application.
- Modul8 [Mac] - Real time video mixing and compositing.
- Resolume [Mac, Win] - Mixing of digital video and effects in a realtime.
- CoGe VJ [Mac] - VJ software designed for realtime HD video mixing and compositing with a modular user interface.
- VirtualMapper - Realtime preview tool for projection mapping.
- Millumin [Mac] - A software to create and perform interactive audiovisual shows.
- Smode [Win] - A real-time 2D/3D creation, compositing and video-mapping engine.
- Veejay [Linux] - A live performance tool featuring simple non-linear editing and mixing from multiple sources (files, devices, streams…)
- Shadertoy - Build and share shaders with the world and get inspired.
- GLSLbin - Fragment shader sandbox with support for glslify.
- GLSL Sandbox - Online shader editor and gallery.
- Shdr Editor - Online shader editor.
- CodePen - Show case of advanced techniques with editable source code.
- Shadershop - Interface for programming GPU shaders.
- Vertexshaderart - Online shader editor and gallery.
- Cyos - Online shader editor.
- GlslEditor - Simple WebGL Fragment Shader Editor.
- OpenProcessing - Create and experiment with algorithmic design, Processing and P5.js.
- P5.js Editor - Online web editor for P5.js.
- LiveCodeLab - Run-as-you-type tool for VJs, musicians, teachers, students, kids.
- P5LIVE - p5.js live-coding environment.
- Arduino - Open source microcontroller kits for building digital devices and interactive objects.
- Raspberry Pi - Small single-board computers.
- BeagleBoard - Low-power open source single-board computers.
- Makey Makey - Turn everyday objects into touchpads and combine them with the internet.
- Leap Motion - Sensor device that supports hand and finger motions as input.
- AxiDraw - Simple, modern, and precise pen plotter.
- Phidgets - Sensors, input devices and controllers for computers.
- Teensy - USB-based microcontroller development system.
- Structure Synth [Cross-platform] - Application for generating 3D structures by specifying a design grammar.
- F3 [Mac] - Powerful 3D design app that enables you to live code 3D form.
- Fragment [Mac]- App to live code GLSL graphics.
- ShaderTool [Win] - Modern shader IDE for programmers and FX artists.
- Syphon [Mac] - Allows applications to share frames with one another in realtime.
- KodeLife - Real-time GPU shader editor, live-code performance tool and graphics prototyping sketchpad.
- ISF - GLSL shaders for use in interactive applications.
- glslViewer - Live-coding console tool that renders GLSL Shaders.
- DrawBot [Mac] - Education oriented 2d graphics programming environment based on python.
- Klak - A collection of scripts for creative coding with Unity.
- basil.js - Scripting (JS) in InDesign for designers and artists in the spirit of Processing.
Articles • Tutorials
Shaders • OpenGL • WebGL
- Introduction to shaders - Part 1 of an introduction to shaders using threejs.
- Three.js 101 - Introduction to three.js from a creative coder perspective.
- Experimenting with Three.js shaders and the ShaderMaterial - Introduction to custom mesh shader materials.
- lwjgl: Shaders - Shader tutorial in the context of lwjgl-basics.
- Shaders: A primer - A primer on shaders.
- Shaders: Second stage - The second part to the previous.
- WebGL Lessons — Fragment Shaders - A brief introduction to fragment shaders.
- WebGL Lessons — ThreeJS Shaders - Using custom vertex and fragment shaders in ThreeJS.
- ThreeJS post-proces example - example of post-processing effects in ThreeJS.
- Ray Marching and Signed Distance Functions - Introduction to ray tracing.
- Introduction to Ray Tracing - A simple method for creating 3D images.
- GLSL lighting walkthrough - Phong shading tutorial with glslify.
- Three glslify example - Example on how to use three.js with glslify.
- WebGL Beyond Dom - Greg Tatum explain the basic of WebGL using Regl.
- FBO particles - Article about FBO/GPGPU particles by @nicoptere.
- Ray marching (with THREE.js) - Article about ray marching with three.js by @nicoptere.
- Custom shaders with Three.JS - Introduction to custom shaders, uniforms, textures and lighting in three.js.
- An intro to modern OpenGL - First part of an introduction to modern OpenGL.
- Modern OpenGL Series - Good introduction to some of the OpenGL terms.
- Smooth minimum - Article about the smooth based primitive union.
- Modeling with distance functions - Collection of distance functions in one centralized place.
- Volumetric rendering - Explains how to create complex 3D shapes inside volumetric shaders.
- Real-time Rendering - Book, blog and collection of resources regarding real-time rendering.
- OpenGL 4 Shaders - Short and sweet introduction to OpenGL shaders by Anton Gerdelan.
- On ray casting, ray tracing, ray marching and the like - The title says it all. Introduction by Adok.
- Sun and Black Cat - Articles on shaders and other computer graphics related topics.
- Writing a small software renderer - Really good introduction to how basic software rendering works.
- WebGL Tutorials - Website with a really good collection of WebGL tutorials.
- Generating Geometry: 1, 2, 3 - Beginner introduction on how to create geometry object.
- Three.js sine animation - Learn how to add sine waves to a circle with three.js. (oF version)
- Into Vertex Shaders - Series of tutorials about WebGL, Three.js, and Three.bas.
- The Spaces of WebGL - Brief overview over the different coordinate systems through out the 3D graphics pipeline.
- WebGL Workshop - Short and sweet online introduction to WebGL.
- THREE.js & instanced geometry - Fluffy predator with three.js and instanced geometry.
- Particle Effects via Billboards - How to create a particle effects with billboarding and WebGL.
- Beautifully Animate Points with WebGL and regl - How to create GPGPU particles with regl.
- WebGL Tutorial: Directional Shadow Mapping without extensions - Introduction to the concepts behind real time directional light shadow mapping.
- WebGL Quest - A tutorial and a list of useful resources to use WebGL raymarching and distance functions easily.
- Exploring bump mapping with WebGL - Introduction to different bump mapping techniques.
- OpenGL/GLSL Shader Programing - Deck on OpenGL/GLSL shader programing.
- Particles in a Simplex Noise Flow Field - Perlin noise flow field tutorial.
- Flow Fields, Part 1 Part 2 - Introduction to flow fields also known as vector fields.
- Graphics for Games - Introduction to 3D graphics programming including shaders, math post-processing etc. from Newcastle University.
- Three.js Basics - Introduction to Three.js by Eric Haines.
- An Interactive Introduction to WebGL and three.js - Slides from the SIGGRAPH 2017 WebGL workshop.
- How to Start Learning Computer Graphics Programming - Advice and thoughts on how to get started by Eric Arnebäck.
- What Every Coder Should Know About Gamma - Deep dive into the importance of gamma.
Quick References • Cheatsheets
Machine learning • Computer Vision • Ai
- ml4a - Machine learning for artists.
- Keras.js - Run Keras models (tensorflow backend) in the browser, with GPU support.
- Google ML - Cloud machine learning by Google.
- TensorFlow - Open source software library for machine intelligence.
- ConvNetJS - Deep Learning in your browser.
- Wekinator - Allows anyone to use machine learning.
- Machine Learning - Coding Train repo with links to machine learning resources.
- CreativeAi.net - Space to share creative Ai projects.
- AI Playbook - Ai microsite intended to help newcomers get started.
- Teachable Machine - Explore how machine learning works, live in the browser.
- Hello TensorFlow - Fully commented TensorFlow.js demo.
- ml5.js - Friendly machine learning for the web.
- Model Zoo - Discover open source deep learning code and pretrained models.
- Runway - Toolkit that adds artificial intelligence capabilities to design and creative platforms.
- Lobe - Build, train, and ship custom deep learning models using a simple visual interface.
- ModelDepot - Platform for discovering, sharing, and discussing easy to use and pre-trained machine learning models.
- OpenProcessing - Algorithmic Designs Created with Processing, p5js and processingjs.
- Chrome Experiments - Showcase of web experiments written by the creative coding community.
- Codedoodl.es - Showcase of curated creative coding sketches.
- For your Processing - Projects and tutorials about Processing.
- Art From Code - Code sketches by Keith Peters.
- Generator.x - Flickr group about generative strategies in art & design.
- Generative Art - Flickr group about generative art.
- Inspiring Online - Open source micro blog about inspiring and creative works published online.
- People You Should Follow on CodePen - List of interesting people worth following.
- Raven Kwok - Tumblr by visual artist Raven Kwok.
- P5Art - Really good collection of experiments in Processing.
- Echophon - Tumblr with visual inspiration.
- Bees & Bombs - Tumblr with gifs by Dave.
- DevArt - Celebration of art made with code by artists that push the possibilities of creativity.
- Folds2d - Tumblr with curves, surfaces, scalar and vector fields.
- W:BLUT Inspiration - Collection of gifs, links and images by W:Blut.
- OFFF Festival - Digital design festival (Online Flash Film Festival).
- Resonate - Festical in Belgrade about cutting edge music, visual arts and digital culture.
- Gray Area Festival - Creative coding, art and technology festival.
- Signal Festival - Showcase of light art and emerging technologies in Prague, the Czech Republic.
- Eyeo Festival - Bring together creative coders, data designers and creators working at the intersection of data, art and technology.
- Mutek - Organization dedicated to digital creativity in sound, music, and audio-visual art.
- Node - An open platform for the exchange on culture, arts and technology.
- Digital Design Days - OFFF - 3 day event offering conferences, workshops, digital showcases & installations.
- CODAME ART+TECH - Projects and nonprofit events, to inspire through experience.
- Curated Creative Events - Hand-picked design, code, art, fashion and maker events.
- NextArt Night - Inspiring people through creative uses of tech.
- GROW - The Parisian rendez-vous for creative coders, GROW is about opening new possibilities in digital creation.
Museums • Galleries
Schools • Workshops
Blogs • Websites
- CreativeApplications.Net [CAN] - Famous digital art blog.
- iquilezles.org - Home of Íñigo Quílez, specialised in GLSL and math snippets.
- bit-101.com - Blog by Keith Peters, specialised in creative coding.
- ibreakdownshaders - Explore the math behind shaders.
- adriancourrèges.com - Blog of software engineer Adrian Courrèges. Articles about game graphics studies etc.
- clicktorelease.com - Home of Jaume Sanchez Elias, with demos, talks, articles on WebGL and WebVR.
- syntopia - Blog about generative art and systems, by Mikael Hvidtfeldt Christensen.
- madebyevan.com - WebGL experiments and articles by Evan Wallace.
- songho.ca - Home of Song Ho Ahn, with a good collection of tutorials on OpenGL and math.
- simonschreibt.de - Game art tricks, design tricks by Simon schreibt.
- sighack.com - Blog about generative art algorithms and techniques, by Manohar Vanga.
To the extent possible under law, Terkel Gjervig has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.