A curated list of awesome apps, extensions, modules, themes and tools for the GNOME Desktop Environment.
Items marked with are applications officially maintained and distributed by the GNOME Project as part of the core set of applications and tools, or extensions that are maintained and distributed as part of the Classic mode.
Internet and Networking
- GNOME Web - Official web browser project of GNOME.
- Eolie - Web browser that uses vertical tabs.
- Midori - Lightweight and fast web browser.
- Geary - Modern mail client, created originally by Yorba.
- FeedReader - RSS feeds reader.
- Feeds - An RSS/Atom feed reader.
- Cawbird - Twitter client.
- Jami - Client for Jami, a secure communication tool.
- GNOME Twitch - Client for watching Twitch.
- Haguichi - Graphical frontend for Hamachi.
- Transmission Remote GNOME - Remote client for the Transmission torrent daemon.
- Fragments - BitTorrent client.
- Tangram - Group your webapps into a single application.
- NFO Viewer - Simple viewer for NFO files, beating text editors with preset font and encoding settings and clickable hyperlink support.
- Paperwork - Personal document manager for scanned documents and PDFs.
- Easy eBook Viewer - EBook Viewer.
- Bookworm - Simple, focused eBook reader that looks good in GNOME.
- Foliate - Simple and modern eBook reader.
- Showdown - Simple markdown viewer.
- Pdftag - Simple metadata editor for PDFs.
- PDF Slicer - Simple application to extract, merge, rotate and reorder pages of PDF documents.
- UberWriter - Distraction-free Markdown editor.
- Marker - Markdown editor with an integrated previewer.
Productivity and Time
- Nuvola Player - Runtime for web-based music streaming services providing a more native user experience and integration with Linux desktop environments.
- Vocal - Powerful, beautiful, and simple podcast client for the modern free desktop.
- Celluloid - Simple frontend for mpv.
- Lollypop - Beautiful music application.
- GRadio - Client for web-based radio (currently in maintenance-mode, will be replaced by Shortwave).
- Parlatype - Audio player specialized for transcription.
- Pulseeffect - Provides limiter, compressor, reverberation, equalizer and auto volume effects for PulseAudio applications.
- Curlew - Multimedia converter.
- Cozy - Audiobook player.
- Pitivi - Beautiful and powerful video editor.
- Coulr - Convert between RGB and hexadecimal codes for colours.
- GColor 3 - Color Picker.
- GThumb - Powerful and advanced application to manage your photos and images.
- Drawing - Responsive drawing application.
- Lutris - Open Source gaming platform.
- GNOME Games - Game launcher and an emulation frontend to libretro.
System and Customization
- GNOME Tweaks - Graphical interface for advanced GNOME3 settings.
- Tilix - Tiling terminal emulator.
- Menulibre - Manage your applications categories if you use a traditional application menu like Arc or the Application Menu.
- HydraPaper - Set a different background for each monitor.
- Dynamic Wallpaper Editor - Utility for editing GNOME’s XML wallpapers
- Unifydmin - Unified administration panel for heterogeneous Linux servers.
- GPaste - Clipboard manager (composed of an application and a gnome-shell extension).
- Peek - Simple screen recorder that saves your recording as a GIF.
- Catfish - Simple search application.
- Detwinner - Simple and fast tool for removing duplicate files.
- Password Safe - Keepass-compatible password manager.
- Passbook - Password manager compatible with freedesktop secrets.
- Recipes - Cooking application.
Developpement and Design
- GNOME Builder - Official IDE for creating GNOME applications.
- GNOMIT - Simple Git commit message editor.
- Sequeler - SQL Client built in Vala.
- Icon Preview - Simple utility to preview icons.
- Palette - Tool for viewing the GNOME colour palette.
- Contrast - Checks the contrast between two colors.
- Icon Library - Find the right icon to use on your GNOME application.
Third-party Apps Plugins
Docks and Panels
Look and Feel
Note: GNOME doesn’t officially support theming, and custom gtk stylesheet cannot be tested with every application ever. It means that some applications might have problems with some of the themes here. You can change the GTK theme with command-line, dconf or Tweaks, but it also means that the pieces are for you to keep if anything breaks :)
- Oomox - Generates different color variations of Numix and Materia themes.
Themes that extend the upstream theming, or that are compliant to it.
- Minwaita - Compact fork of Adwaita. (GTK, Shell)
- Adwaita Tweaks - Compact version of Adwaita, more faithful than minwaita but less compact. (GTK, Shell)
- Yaru - Ubuntu’s official community-made style. (GTK, Shell)
Themes that imitate the style of another operating system
- GNOME OSC - Theme that mimics the look and feel of macOS. (GTK, Shell)
- United - Unity8-inspired theme. (GTK, Shell)
- Materia - Material Design-like theme. (GTK, Shell)
- Adapta - Adaptive theme based on Material Design Guidelines. (GTK, Shell)
- Vimix - A flat Material Design theme. (GTK, Shell)
- Plata - A Gtk theme based on Material Design Refresh. (GTK, Shell)
- Arc - Flat theme with transparent elements. (GTK, Shell)
- Pop - Official theme of Pop!_OS by System76. (GTK, Shell)
- Numix - Popular flat semi-dark theme with an orange touch. (GTK)
- Zukitre - Flat grey theme, part of the zuki-theme suite. (GTK, works with Zuki-Shell for the shell theme)
- Greybird - Official Xubuntu theme. (GTK)
- Vertex - Metallic theme created by horst3180, the creator of Arc. (GTK, Shell)
- Zukitwo - Skeumorphic grey theme, part of the zuki-theme suite. (GTK, works with Zuki-Shell for the shell theme).
- GNOME++ - Third-party application icons compatible with GNOME’s current guidelines.
- Pop! - Official icon theme of Pop!_OS by System76.
- Paper - Material icon theme.
- Papirus - Material icon theme, initially based on Paper.
- La Capitaine - Icon inspired by macOS and Material Design guidelines.
- Moka - Simple squared icon theme, loosely based on the Tango specification.
- Obsidian - Continuation of the famous Faenza theme.
- Numix Circle - Flat rounded icon theme.
- Numix Square - Flat square icon theme.
- ComixCursors - X11 mouse theme with a comics feeling.
- Bibata - Silm material-based cursor theme.
- Capitaine Cursors - An x-cursor theme inspired by macOS and based on KDE Breeze. Designed to be paired with La Capitaine icons.
GNOME on Social Networks
- libdazzle - Companion library to GObject and Gtk+, providing various new features.
- Hello - Set of Hello World examples for GNOME/GTK in different languages.