A curated list of delightful Markdown stuff.
Markdown is a markup language created by John Gruber in collaboration with Aaron Swartz. It was designed to be easily converted to HTML and has been extended into different types of implementations.
Please read the contribution guidelines before contributing.
:gem: means really awesome/useful.
means that it’s webapp/webservice.
means that runs on Android.
means that runs on iOS.
means that runs on macOS.
means that runs on Linux.
means that runs on Windows.
CMS / Blogs
CMS or Blogs which support Markdown by default.
- Ghost - Publishing platform for professional bloggers.
- Grav - Modern Flat-File CMS.
- Hexo - A fast, simple & powerful blog framework
- Hugo - Fast & Modern Static Website Engine.
- Jekyll - Transform your plain text into static websites and blogs.
- Svbtle - Blogging platform designed to help you think.
- Vuepress - Minimalistic Vue-powered static site generator.
Libraries for rendering Markdown documents.
- Hoedown - Standards compliant, fast, secure Markdown processing library in C (Sundown fork).
- peg-markdown - An implementation of Markdown in C, using a PEG grammar.
- Sundown - Standards compliant, fast, secure Markdown processing library in C.
- commonmark-java - Java implementation of CommonMark, a specification of the Markdown format.
- flexmark-java - Java Implementation of Markdown parser with source level AST.
- pegdown - A pure-Java Markdown processor based on a parboiled PEG parser supporting a number of extensions.
- markdown-it - Markdown parser, done right. 100% CommonMark support, extensions, syntax plugins & high speed.
- mmarkdown - Interpret mmd fenced code blocks in a markdown file and generate a cooler version of it.
- Snarkdown - Snarkdown is a dead simple 1kb Markdown parser.
- Markdown.pl :gem: John Gruber’s original Markdown library.
- parsedown - Better Markdown Parser in PHP.
- php-markdown - Parser for Markdown and Markdown Extra derived from the original Markdown.pl by John Gruber.
- markdown2 - Fast and complete implementation of Markdown in Python.
- Mistune - The fastest Markdown parser in pure Python with renderer feature.
- Python-Markdown - Python implementation of John Gruber’s Markdown.
- kramdown - kramdown is a fast, pure Ruby Markdown superset converter, using a strict syntax definition and supporting several common extensions.
- Redcarpet - Redcarpet is a Ruby library for Markdown processing that smells like butterflies and popcorn.
Convert Markdown to other formats and vice versa.
- csvtomd - Convert your CSV files into Markdown tables.
- Dimer Markdown - converts Markdown to HTML or to JSON
- HTML To Markdown for PHP - Convert HTML to Markdown with PHP.
- markdown-pdf - Markdown to PDF converter.
- Markdown to PDF - Simple and useful website for converting Markdown to PDF.
- Pandoc - Universal document converter.
- Torsimany - Translate format-independent JSON to stylish, human-readable Markdown.
- yamp - Easy-to-use cli toolbox for markdown-related task.
Edit and save your Markdown documents.
- Abricotine - Lightweight markdown editor built with Electron with built-in realtime preview.
- Caret - Markdown Editor for Mac and PC.
- iA Writer - iA Writer is designed to provide the best writing experience on Mac OS, iOS and Android. :gem: Really simple editor!
- Markdownify - A minimal Markdown Editor desktop app.
- MarkRight - Minimalistic github flavored Markdown editor.
- Mark Text - Next generation Markdown editor (built with Electron).
- PileMd - Markdown Note App.
- StackEdit - In-browser markdown editor.
- TOAST UI Editor - Extensible GFM Markdown WYSIWYG Editor
- Typora - A minimal Markdown editor.
- Notable - The Markdown-based note-taking app that doesn’t suck.
- Boostnote - A markdown editor for developers.
- Trilium Notes - A hierarchical note taking application with focus on building large personal knowledge bases.
- Joplin - An open source note taking and to-do application with synchronisation capabilities.
- Visual Studio Code - An open source code editor with built-in markdown preview and many markdown extensions.
- Quiver - A notebook built for programmers.
- Bear - A beautiful, flexible writing app for crafting notes and prose.
Flag and standarize your Markdown documents.
- Markdown Lint Tool - Tool to check Markdown files and flag style issues.
- Markdownlint - Node.js style checker and lint tool for Markdown/CommonMark files.
- remark-lint - Markdown code style linter.
- textlint - Pluggable linting tool for text and markdown.
- markdownlint - Markdown linting and style checking for Visual Studio Code.
Tools which let you edit, convert, export, et al. your Markdown documents.
- Classeur - Classeur is a new platform to write simple notes as well as technical documents and blogs.
- Dillinger - Dillinger is a cloud-enabled, mobile-ready, offline-storage, AngularJS powered HTML5 Markdown editor.
- GitDown – GitHub’s Markdown preprocessor. :octocat:
- HackMD - HackMD lets you create realtime collaborative Markdown notes on all platforms.
- Markable.in - Remarkable Markdown Editor.
- markcat - Markdown files terminal viewer. :gem:
cat with Markdown highlight.
- Markdown Magic - Automatically format markdown files and sync external docs/src code
- Markdown Tables Generator - Visual Markdown table builder with CSV importing support.
- remark - Markdown processor powered by plugins
- Socrates - Serveless realtime Markdown editor and viewer, etherpad-like.
Create and edit your slides presentations with Markdown.
- gitpitch - Markdown Presentations For Everyone on GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket, GitBucket, Gitea, and Gogs.
- hacker-slides - Minimal UI for building presentation slides from markdown.
- Marp - Markdown presentation ecosystem. :gem: CLI, Web, IDE plugin and more to convert Markdown into various formats
- mdp - Command-line based Markdown presentation tool. :gem: Like PowerPoint and Vim but with Markdown!
- remark - A simple, in-browser, Markdown-driven slideshow tool targeted at people who know their way around HTML and CSS.
Different services which take advantage of Markdown.
- Daux.io - Daux.io is an documentation generator that uses a simple folder structure and Markdown files to create custom documentation on the fly.
- Dimer - Dimer generates a clean and beautiful documentation website from Markdown.
- GitBook - GitBook is a modern publishing toolchain. Making both writing and collaboration easy.
- GitPrint - Easily print GitHub Markdown.
Documentation and useful information about Markdown.
Useful links and tutorials.
Icon pack by Icons8
To the extent possible under law, Joaquín Serna has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.