A carefully curated list of CSV-related tools and resources
CSV remains the most futuristic data format from the distant past.
XML has risen and fallen. JSON is just a flash in the pan. YAML is a poisoned chalice. CSV will outlast them all.
When the final cockroach breathes her last breath, her dying act will be to scratch her date of death in a CSV file for posterity.
Here are some awesome tools for dealing with CSV:
- NimbleText/Live - Use patterns to manipulate CSV; the world’s simplest code generator *.
- PapaParse - A powerful in-browser CSV parser.
- d3-dsv - d3.js parser and formatter module for delimiter-separated values.
- CSVKit - CSV utilities that includes csvsql / csvgrep / csvstat and more.
- XSV - A fast CSV command-line toolkit written in Rust.
- sed (gnu tool) - Stream editor.
- gawk (gnu tool) - Text processing and data extraction using awk.
- awk by example - Comprehensive examples of using awk.
- Miller - Like sed / awk / cut / join / sort etc for name-indexed data such as CSV.
- ParaText - CSV parsing at 2.5 GB per second.
- CSVGet - Get structured data from sites as CSV.
- CSVfix - A tool for manipulating CSV data.
- Tad - A fast free cross-platform CSV viewer.
- Nvd3-tags - A tiny library for making charts from csv data.
- Powershell: Import-CSV - Powerful in-built facility for dealing with CSV (example).
- CSV Tools - A collection of useful CSV utilities.
- graph-cli - Flexible command line tool to create graphs from CSV data.
- CSV to SQL - Online tool to create insert/update/delete etc from CSV data.
- C#: kbCSV - An efficient, easy to use .NET parsing and writing library for CSV.
- csvprintf - UNIX command line utility for parsing and formatting output based on CSV files.
- Mockaroo - Random data generator for CSV / JSON / SQL / Excel.
- Ron’s CSV Editor - Handles big files, does miraculous things. A timeless editor for a timeless format.
- Rainbow CSV plugins - Collection of text editor plugins for CSV/TSV syntax highlighting. Available for Vim, VS Code, Atom, Sublime Text and other editors.
Repair or Validate CSV
- Csvlint.go - Command line tool for validating CSV files against RFC 4180.
- csvstudio - A smart app to repair syntax errors in very large CSV files.
Treat CSV as SQL
- TextQL - Execute SQL against CSV or TSV.
- Datasette Facets - Faceted browse and a JSON API for any CSV File or SQLite DB.
- q - Text as data.
Convert to or from CSV
- CSV to Table - Convert CSV files to searchable and sortable HTML table.
CSV <-> JSON
- Agnes - Two way Csv to Json **.
- csv2json - online tool to convert your CSV or TSV formatted data to JSON and vice versa.
- csv-to-json - Easy, privacy-friendly and offline-first online csv to json converter.
Once you’ve found the perfect data serialization file format, you stop looking
- csv,conf - A community conference for data makers everywhere.
The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.
—(Possibly) Grace Hopper.
META: Other similar lists
- structured-text-tools - List of command line tools for manipulating CSV / XML / HTML / JSON / INI etc.
- META-META - This list as CSV.
- META-META-META - A NimbleText pattern that produces this markdown page from this list as a CSV.
Code of Conduct
See Code of Conduct
To experience the fun of contributing, see Contributing
* I’m the author of NimbleText. Of course I put it first on the list. If I didn’t personally rate it I wouldn’t have spent so much time making and improving it.
** I wrote
agnes but don’t really endorse it for others to use (thus haven’t migrated the source code to GitHub). It’s slow and non-streaming. I’d go with
papa-parse. On the plus side,
agnes has a more comprehensive test suite and simpler api than most.
*** Mine too.
To the extent possible under law, Leon Bambrick has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.